What is posture? Basically, posture refers to the body's alignment and positioning with respect to the ever-present force of gravity. Whether we are standing, sitting or lying down, gravity exerts a force on our joints, ligaments and muscles.
Doing our daily activities (walking, running, sitting, working out, etc.) with unbalanced or bad posture is like driving a misaligned car long distance; your body will wear and tear unevenly and cause early degeneration and arthritis.
Benefits of having good posture:
- Healthy Spine: not maintaining good posture can add strain to muscles and put stress on the spine.
- Improves circulation, digestion and breathing: an improper, slouched posture has been postulated as a contributing factor to several digestive problems, from acid reflux to constipation and even hernias. Proper posture allows the internal organs to assume their natural position, this allows them to work properly.
- Helps your muscles and joints: Good posture allows muscles to work more efficiently therefore prevents muscle fatigue. Also reduces the stress on joints and ligaments minimizing the likelihood of injury.
- Makes you look slimmer and younger: correct posture will instantly take off 3-5lbs in your appearance, also it will make you look younger and your clothes look better.
- Change your frame of mind: posture affects your frame of mind and your frame of mind can affect your posture. When you are feeling happy and on top of things posture tends to be upright and open, in contrast people who are depressed often sit or stand slumped.
Call our office today to get your posture checked. It might be the answer to your aches and [email protected] 206-327-9328