Did you know that your skin is the largest organ of your body? You might have heard the common phrase “you are what you absorb.” Are you aware of what you might be putting on your skin?
“SkinToxing” is defined as unknowingly applying trusted cosmetic products on your skin that contain toxic chemicals.
Common cosmetic chemical preservatives are known to contribute to:
- Birth defects
- Inability to conceive
- Acne and other skin problems
- Cancers, including skin cancer
Your skin serves many functions, including helping you detox. Sweating eliminates toxins, while pores love to absorb. Parabens are commonly used in anti-aging skin lotions. Alarmingly, researchers have found parabens in the urine of 60-90% of men, women and children. Your skin does not just cover your body, it communicates with your body as well as the environment - balancing the body’s circadian rhythm.
There are common preservatives in lotions and creams that are plasticizers, which disrupt the endocrine (hormone) system. Research points to negative health consequences such as inability to conceive, and after conception, baby boys are born with misplaced openings on the male genitalia. Parabens have been found in female breast cancer tumors.
Below is a list of the “Dirty Dozen” of toxic cosmetic chemicals:
- Parabens (Methylparaben, etc.) – Hormone disrupters
- Phthalates (DBP, DEP, DMP, BBP) – Plasticizer, hormone disrupters
- Sodium laureth sulfate (SLS)
- PEG and PG (propylene glycol, polyethylene glycol) Petroleum based carcinogen
- DEA (Diethanolamine)
- Formaldehyde releasers (DMDM hydantoin, urea, etc.) Carcinogenic
- Synthetic Fragrance (Parfum)
- Benzoyl peroxide
- Coal tar (dandruff shampoo)
Want more information? Call the office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Carter today!